Tuesday, September 8, 2009

9/8/09: Work it people!

We've spent two weeks learning about memoirs, now it's time to get producing! There are two things that you need to be working on that I'll discuss here.

First, your memoir.

Remember:

1- Every text event has to have a purpose.

2- The memoir needs to show attitudes or feelings before, so that the reader understands the author's learning at the end.

3- The memoir needs to show the before several times, not just once.

4- The memoir needs to show the after: How did the learning change the author's life? Why was it significant?

5- Every text event needs to build toward, show, or explain the significance of the author's learning.

Also Remember

Ways to Show Meaning In Text

1- Through the character's actions.
"I tuck the kitten under my jacket and run out of the woods."

2- Through the character's dialogue.
"'Don't worry,' I tell it, stroking its scabby head until the mewing is replaced by a faint purr. 'Everything will be okay.'"

3- Through the character's thoughts.
"I feel the warmth of the kitten through my shirt and start thinking of names."

4- Through comparisons.
"This time I was alone. Lucky for you I was, I think to the kitten. Otherwise, David or Claude might have decided you'd be good practice for their slingshots.

Second, your group presentations. Remember that you are creating a plan to disburse our memoirs to the 8th graders. You must create a plan and create a presentation to be due Thursday that sells your plan to voters, utilizes technology in its presentation, and involves all of your group members. Good luck!

No comments: